Past indefinite tense examples, sentences and formation. Affirmative, negative & interrogative sentences are explained with examples & formation. You can Download PDF of this Lesson.
Past Indefinite Tense Examples & Formation
In case of past indefinite tense represents an action appeared in the past or a habit of the past. The second form of verb is used in simple sentences. In interrogative or negative sentences “did” is used as a helping verb. If we use “did” as a helping verb then we will not used second form of verb, Instead we use the first form of verb.
Subject+ 2nd form of verb +object
- I wrote book on different topics.
- They played match in the field.
- She preferred drink to tea.
- We came for dinner in this market last month.
- I listened lyrical music last evening.
- I could not attend the program because of my busy schedule.
- We enjoy the program thoroughly.
Related Post: Future Indefinite tense
Form of verb
2nd form of verb is used in the positive /affirmative sentences of this tense.
Subject+ 2nd form of verb +object
- I wrote a novel.
- He ate an orange.
- Suni watched an interesting movie.
- They played hockey match.
- He threw a football.
- His eyes filled with tears.
- She loved her father.
- I did my homework.
- The sword fell from his hands.
- My brother played hockey.
- Rani loved her mother.
- My sister played football.
- They did help the poor.
- He did post the letter.
- You did admit your mistake.
- You did finish your work.
- It did snow on mountains.
- The words start to appear.
- The Grandmother tells us an interesting story.
- It rain yesterday.
- Our team won the match.
- Her eyes filled with water.
- She threw a ball.
- He ate an apple.
- I wrote a letter.
Also Study: Past Continuous tense
While making negative sentences “did” is used as a helping verb and after “did” first form of verb is used. Not is added between helping verb and main verb.
Subject+ did+ not+ 1st form of verb + object
- I did not drink water.
- We did not ask question.
- He did not play football.
- He did not go to park.
- They did not accept our invitation.
- His eyes did not fill with tears.
- She did not love her father.
- I did not my homework.
- The sword did not fell from his hands.
- My brother do not played hockey.
- They did not help the poor.
- You did not post the letter.
- You did not admit your mistake.
- It did not snow on the mountains.
- You did not finish your work.
- The words did not start to appear.
- The grandmother did not tell us an interesting story.
- They do not wait for their friends.
- It did not rain yesterday.
- Our team did not win the match.
- I do not write a letter.
- He did not eat an apple.
- She did not throw a ball.
- Her eyes did not fill with water.
- You do not walk in the park.
Must study: Phrasal Verbs
For interrogative sentences “did” is placed at start of sentences. After subject first form of verb is used and question mark is added at the end.
Did+ subject + 1st form of verb + object?
- Did they exercise regularly?
- Did Annu buy a pen?
- Did sparrow fly in air?
- Did she tell a lie?
- Did we help you?
- We jumped off the 2nd floor.
- She drank dirty water.
- I sent them back.
- Money dropped from my pocket.
- Boys wept a lot.
- Amir made a paper boat.
- It ate all the grass.
- Did his eyes filled with tears?
- Did she love her father?
- Did I my homework?
- Did the sword fell from his hands?
- Did my brother play hockey?
- Did they help the poor?
- Did he post the letter?
- Did it snow on the mountains?
- Did you finish your work?
- Did the words start to appear?
- Did the grandmother tell us an interesting story?
- Did they wait for their friends?
- Did it rain yesterday?
- Did our team win the match?
- Did her eyes fill with water?
- Did I write a letter?
- Did she throw a ball?
- Did he eat an apple?
- Do you walk in the park?
- Do we go for a picnic?
You can DOWNLOAD PDF of Past Indefinite tense.